...being energy conscious! Haha... like every day, today is the first day of the rest of my life.... but today is different because I woke up with all sorts of ambition to lower our $300 electric bill! Allright our house is less than 1000 square feet, fairly open floor plan, and there is no way in the WORLD we can afford or have the desire to use 300 bucks worth of electric each month! So today I am doing/ have done the following:
1. Hung up all shirts, pants, etc. right out of the washer, on the shower curtain rod, and rather than drying 4 loads of laundy, am only drying 1 load. I threw all the socks and little stuff in the dryer, and when this next load is done, i'll start it drying! So maybe that'll save a few bucks...
2. Wrote 'twirly light bulbs' on the grocery list. We're going to town tomorrow, and when we get home we are IMMEDIATLY going to replace all those that we haven't allready. When I looked at the money savings on daddymorebucks.com and realized taht we could save something like 30 bucks a month if we replaced all our regular bulbs with twirly bulbs, I decided that this whole 'replacing one as it goes out' thing isn't cutting it. It is well worth the money just to buy the swirly bulbs now and replace them NOW.
3. Cleaned out the deep freeze! I realized that there wasn'ta lot in it, a turkey, 4 chickens, and a couple boxes of those ice pops that don't have to be frozen... you know the kind in the plastic that you normally buy thawed and stick them in the freeze when you get home...well anyhow i cleaned out the fridge and freezer inside, reorganized, and fit everything inside! I was gonna cook 2 of those chickens in the next few days anyways, so they can thaw now, and voila! Unplugged the deep freeze until further notice, probably for a month or so at least!
4. Washed all the laundry on cold except for the sheets! There are some things that aren't that dirty, and i am a compulsive 'wash everything on hot as heckaholic' but you know what? Lots of people wash their laundry in cold water, and by golly, i could do some of mine in cold water too!
5. There was somethiing else.... Oh yeah! I put a candle going in the bathroom, which solved a couple problems... 1 being that i turn the light on every time i go in there, and the other... it makes it smell WONDERFUL and also TAKES OFF THE CHILL! I never knew a big old candle could produce a noticeable amount of heat! But we have no direct heat source in there so this helps!!
6. Unplugged the toaster oven... A friend reminded me this morning that even though it's off, it could still suck some energy... I debated doing the same with the micro, but i like having a clock there but... we'll see. maybe i'll unplug that too.
Any other ideas on things to do to save? Let me know please!!! :) I'm desperate! And NO i will not open all the curtains to let light in because that is helping keep the heat in...So the living room gets sheers and our room gets these heavy dark drapes that i am not opening for fear of losing more precious heat!!!